PrEP stands for pre-exposure prophylaxis. PrEP is taken by HIV negative people before having sex (pre-exposure) and after sex, to prevent HIV (this is called prophylaxis).
PrEP has been shown in many studies to be safe and highly effective at preventing HIV. Prep has been shown in many studies to be safe and if taken correctly has been found to be highly effective in the prevention of HIV infection.
We would still recommend that condom use is the most effective protection against sexually acquired infections.
PrEP is the newest HIV prevention tool available and is best used in combination with other HIV prevention measures.
You should consider taking PrEP if you:
- Do not always use condoms during sex
- Have a partner who has HIV and a detectable or unknown viral load
- Are trying to conceive with a partner who has HIV
- Have a partner who has an unknown HIV status or who refuses to get an HIV test
- Have sex for money, drugs or a place to stay
- Are using recreational drugs for sex, also known as chemsex
- Or any activity that may expose you to HIV infection
- Have used PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) in the past year
- Had a recent sexually transmitted infection (STI), especially a rectal infection or syphilis
Please see this link for more information on PrEP: https://www.sexualwellbeing.ie
PrEP and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
PrEP does not protect against other STIs. For example, syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhoea and hepatitis C.
PrEP users can combine condoms and PrEP to reduce the risk of contracting other STIs.
Regular STI testing at least every 3 months is recommended for people taking PrEP.
Vaccination against hepatitis A and B is recommended for all gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men (MSM) and people who inject drugs.
HPV vaccination is recommended for MSM up to and including 45 years of age to protect against genital warts and HPV-associated cancers.
The fees for this private service at Charter Medical is:
Initial Visit @ €200
3 Monthly review visits @ €160
Hep A vaccination @ €55
Hep B vaccination @ €240
HPV Vaccination course (Garadsil 9 course of 3 vaccinations) @ 1st Vaccine €275.00, 2nd Vaccine €240.00, 3rd Vaccine €240.00
Syphilis positive tests will incur consultant specialist fees. Further information on enquiry
(*) All new patients even those who have taken PrEP in the past will need the results of their STI screen and kidney function test prior to getting their prescription.